ECSD Teachers Headed to Governor's School Leadership Academy
The Governor’s School Leadership Academy (GSLA) provides high-quality, selective, statewide leadership preparation and support designed to develop high-capacity school leaders across Georgia. Through its four independent programs, the GSLA and its partners serve teachers and leaders in four critical areas of practice:
- Induction Teacher Program: Serves teachers in years 1-3 of practice;
- Teacher Leader Program: Serves teachers with 5 or more years of experience who are interested in exploring leadership roles inside and outside of the classroom;
- Aspiring Principal Program: Serves educators who serve in a district with a federally identified school, have 3 or more years of effective practice, an expressed desire to become a principal, and the recommendation of their current district superintendent;
- Principal Support Program: Serves principals who are currently serving in a federally designated (CSI, TSI, Promise, or SIG) school.
The Governor’s School Leadership Academy expanded in 2019-2020 to include a Teacher Academy that has been designed in partnership with the 16 Regional Educational Services Agencies (RESAs) across the state. The GSLA Teacher Leader Support Program will provide targeted face-to-face professional learning and onsite coaching support to teacher leaders in an effort to address the Governor’s priority of investing in educators to improve retention rates of highly effective teachers in Georgia.
Candidates for the GSLA Teacher Leader Academy must:
- Hold a GaPSC Professional Certificate (beyond induction level, open to all K-12 certified educators, regardless of content area);
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of effective teaching experience;
- Be perceived as a current and/or aspiring teacher leader (i.e., grade level/department chair, member of the school’s leadership committee, mentor teacher, etc.);
- Have an interest in exploring/pursuing a leadership role at the school or district level, although not necessarily in administration;
- Have the opportunity and access to complete job-embedded leadership tasks within their current school/district;
- Be recommended by a school or district administrator; and
- Be employed as a full-time teacher in a RESA-served school/district during the 2020-2021 school year.
We are proud to announce the following candidates were nominated, interviewed, and accepted to participate in the Inaugural Cohort of the GSLA Teacher Leader Academy.
- Ms. Karla Clayton
- Ms. Kimberly Larson
- Ms. Krystle Shuman
- Ms. Sherri Walsh
For more information please visit: https://gosa.georgia.gov/programs-initiatives/governors-school-leadership-academy