Naming Facilities Guidance
In situations deemed appropriate, the Board may approve the renaming of school facilities and portions thereof. In such situations, the Board must approve the Name. If a Facility is to be requested to be named after an individual, several steps must be adhered to.
- The proposed name shall be submitted with a detailed biography and written rationale to support the recommendation. The submission should also include a detailed explanation as to why a particular landmark should bear this person's name.
- The Principal, in most instances, shall submit the recommendations for names for facilities when needed. The Board may also initiate recommendations for facility names. In developing recommendations for facility names, the Superintendent shall maintain appropriate records of the research or other information gathered in considering a name for recommendation as well as any input from stakeholders the Superintendent may have received. Any recommendations not acted on by the Board within five years must be resubmitted.
The following guidelines may be considered when selecting facility names for a person living or dead.
- Does he or she embody exemplary human qualities that can serve as a model of excellence for students who attend the facility?
- Does the nominated name reflect direct and substantial association and achievement of extraordinary and lasting distinction (i.e. an individual's scholarship, creativity, leadership, and humanitarian and public service)?
- Does he or she have a background of service to adults and children of Effingham County, the State of Georgia or the United States of America?
- Has the nominee served the district? Length of years of service? Quality and quantity of contributions?
- Did he or she make an extraordinary impact on the school, community, students, and staff?
- Major donors are considered, but not required.
- The person being recommended must have been retired or away from the facility for a minimum of 10 years.
- Is the name already in use in the school district?
- A dedication plaque may be placed in each facility and shall include the names of all the board members seated at the time of the term when the facility was named.
- A sign may be placed in or at the facility bearing the name of the facility.
- Dedicated ceremonies will be directed by the relevant school personnel.
- A nominee will not be considered if he or she demonstrated actions that are unbecoming, negative, and or associated to unjust acts and behavior as an individual. Such acts would include, but not be limited to, acts considered criminal, illegal, and/or immoral.
- The Principal of the School must be willing to set up a scholarship account so that a senior each year will benefit from at least 1 scholarship in the nominee's name. Minimum of $1,000 scholarship.
- Donations may be given in the nominee's honor to the school or facility.