BES is proud to be a Leader In Me school!
*In 1989, Dr. Stephen Covey wrote a book entitled "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." In 1999, a principal from North Carolina had the idea to teach Dr. Covey's 7 habits to elementary school students. So the "Leader In Me" program was created!!
At BES we are working to help students discover their own unique strengths and to teach students how to be leaders. Here are the 7 habits that we are working to instill in our Blue Jay students:
The 7 Habits of Happy Kids:
1. Be Proactive: I am a responsible person. I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes, and my moods. I do not blame others for my actions. I do the right thing without being asked.
2. Begin With the End in Mind: I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and I look for ways to be a good citizen.
3. Put First Things First: I spend my time on things that are most important. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am disciplined and organized.
4. Think Win-Win: I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want. When conflicts arise, I looke for a win-win solution.
5. Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood: I listen to other people's ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoint. I listen without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas.
6. Synergize: I value other people's strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others. I work well in groups. I seek out other ideas because I know that by teaming with others, we can create better solutions than what any one of us could do alone.
7. Sharpen the Saw: I eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep in order to strengthen my body. I learn in lots of ways and in lots of places, not just at school, in order to sharpen my mind. I spend time with family and friends, in order to strengthen my heart. I take time to find meaningful ways to help others, in order to strengthen my soul.