Music is something that benefits many aspects of our lives. It allows us to express ourselves and expand our creativity. Music also helps us develop other aspects of our minds that we can use in other fields of education. Sometimes it even contributes to gaining insight to the world around us.
It is important students learn to:
1. Respond to music in a variety of instrumental & vocal styles & origins through listening, moving, singing, & playing instruments.
2. Describe the expressive affect of music in terms of its elements: melody, dynamics, rhythm, harmony, timbre, & texture.
3. Identify a variety of instruments by sight and sound.
4. Sing developmentally appropriate songs with attention to tone quality, pitch accuracy, style, diction, blend, & balance.
5. Play and create accompaniments on various instruments by ear and with using music.
6. Identify and use a variety of music terms and symbols.
7. Appreciate and describe various styles of music and the composers who contributed to their creation.
Basic Music Standards for Grades K-5
1. Singing various styles of music alone and with others.
2. Performing various styles of music alone and with others on instruments.
3. Reading and notating music.
4. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
5. Composing and arranging music within specific guidelines.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performance.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
10. Moving alone and with others to a varied repertoire of music.