Unit 1: Numbers and Operations in Base Ten
In this unit, students will:
• Investigate, understand, and use place value to manipulate numbers.
• Build on understanding of place value to round whole numbers.
• Continue to develop understanding of addition and subtraction and use strategies and properties to do so proficiently and fluently.
• Draw picture graphs with symbols that represent more than one object.
• Create bar graphs with intervals greater than one.
• Use graphs and information from data to ask questions that require students to compare quantities and use mathematical concepts and skills.
Standards:Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
MGSE3.NBT.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
MGSE3.NBT.2 Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
Represent and interpret data.
MGSE3.MD.3 Draw a scaled picture graph and a scaled bar graph to represent a data set with several categories. Solve one- and two-step “how many more” and “how many less” problems using information presented in scaled bar graphs. For example, draw a bar graph in which each square in the bar graph might represent 5 pets.
MGSE3.MD.4 Generate measurement data by measuring lengths using rulers marked with halves and fourths of an inch. Show the data by making a line plot, where the horizontal scale is marked off in appropriate units— whole numbers, halves, or quarters.Video Links:Rounding:https://www.khanacademy.org/math/cc-third-grade-math/cc-3rd-place-value-rounding/cc-3rd-grade-rounding/v/rounding-to-the-nearest-10https://www.khanacademy.org/math/pre-algebra/pre-algebra-arith-prop/pre-algebra-rounding-whole-numbers/v/rounding-whole-numbers-1